When September rolls around, how do you choose which UC is the best for you? Several factors that affect these decisions include distance, majors, environment, and rankings even. Each school has their own niche and reputation, but out of the nine public universities in California, a common trait that unites them all is the open resource of endless research opportunities.
Below is a list of the UC’s and the top leading research held prior in their school. What’s great about these is having the endless opportunities to be mentored by a doctor or well- known researcher. Who wouldn’t want their name on the next most significant scientific discovery on Nature or ScienceDirect? Read below to find out the breakthrough discoveries in each of these universities.
1. University of California, Los Angeles
- Professor Dean Ho of Oral Biology analyzed nanodiamond that can help tissue heal, such as recovery from root canals!
- Professor Kang Wang of Electrical Engineering explored the Majorana particle to carry data in quantum computers.
- UCLA researchers led by Melanie Barboni found the moon to be at least 4.51 billion years old when previously thought it was 40 to 140 million years old.
- UCLA researchers devised a smartphone- based microscope to analyze specific DNA sequences and genetic mutations in tumor cells without having to first extract DNA from them.
- UCLA researchers led by Richard Kaner designed a 2-in-1 device that can make electricity or hydrogen for more affordable hydrogen cars.
2. University of California Berkeley
- Researchers found high- diet in grapefruit juice resulted in 18 percent less weight when they drank water.
- Berkeley Lab researchers discovered a material ideal for smart photovoltaic windows made with perovskite solar cell.
- Discovery in brain plasticity to compensate for Alzheimer’s- Related Protein
- The Kavli Energy NanoSciences Institute (Kavli ENSI) at the University of California, Berkeley and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory are leaders in energy research dedicated to studying how nature manages energy at the nanoscale.
3. University of California, Irvine
- Breakthrough treatment for crippling jaw disease
- Professor Andrea Tenner and Dean Frank LaFerla led an effort to create a mouse that more closely mirrors human Alzheimer’s.
- Chemists have developed a way to neutralize deadly snake venom more cheaply and effectively compared to the traditional anti-venom.
- Researchers have invented a nanowire-based electrode that is more energy efficient and could be recharged hundreds of thousands of times without being replaced.
- A strain of mosquitoes capable of rapidly introducing malaria-blocking genes into a mosquito population through its progeny, ultimately to eliminate the insects’ ability to transmit the disease to humans.
4. University of California, San Diego
- Breakthrough finding in sea spray aerosols ejected from the ocean to help understand the formation of clouds.
- In a collaborative effort of researchers, Professor Congjun Wu helped show for the first time that string states dominate quantum spin dynamics.
- The research team launched a new center for anti-parasitic drug discovery to deal with tropical diseases from climate change.
5. University of California, Santa Barbara
- Joseph Polchinkski showed for the string theory that if you mathematically shrink the space around one class of strings, space is forced to ‘bounce back’ — that is, to expand again into a larger volume.
- Dr. Craig Montell’s research revolves around a central goal of neurobiology: to define the molecular and cellular mechanisms through which animals translate sensory input into behavioral outputs.
- Direct Cris Sandoval of the Coal Oil Point Reserve has successfully restored more than 20 acres of wetland margins, vernal pools, coastal sage scrub, dunes and beach habitats.
6. University of California, Riverside
- Discoveries helped realize the promise of faster, energy-efficient spintronic computers and ultra-high-capacity data storage.
- UCR Professor of Mathematics Mark Alber and researcher Oleg Kim are leading advancements in stroke and heart attack treatments in a breakthrough blood clot research.
- Molecular Virology and Immunology Professor Shou-Wei Ding has done groundbreaking work into how certain viral infections function in human and found a virus-fighting mechanism from plants, insects, and mice that are also present in humans.
- In the development of a material that could drastically lower the price of fuel cells.
7. University of California, Davis
- Worked on linking the toxicity of ambient aerosols (particles and gases) to emission sources.
- Designed and implemented the control plane for an all-optical packet switch based on label-switching.
- Developed a methodology for power optimization of embedded software on mobile phones using Markov Decision Processes and collaborative bandwidth sharing based on user profiles.
8. University of California, Santa Cruz
- In 2017, UC Santa Cruz was ranked 3rd best in the world for research influence by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, tied with Stanford University.
- Research on fruit flies is predicted to further gain understanding on river blindness and debilitating disease
- Further prediction on U.S. national forests to sequester carbon within in the next 60 year
- Nader Pourmand, a biomolecular engine, developed a nanopipette technology to track changes in a single cell’s life over time.
9.University of California, Merced
- Research has found how therapy-resistant cancers arise and are comparing genetic and metabolic pathways in treatment- responsive and treatment-resistant melanomas.
- Professor Clarissa Nobile is working to find the fungus that forms the biofilms that cause yeast infections inside and on outer surfaces of the human body.
- UC Merced Professor Roland Winston is working on a groundbreaking hybrid solar collector that generates electricity.
- UC Merced graduate student Melissa Ricketts has come up with a way to use the compound parabolic concentrator (CPC) to emit light, rather than gather it.
Top 5 Meditation Apps To Try in 2019
Many individuals get engrossed in their daily routines with little time to be mindful or calm. To address this problem, people are turning to meditation apps to restore balance into their lives. Check out the Top Meditation Apps that will help you feel peaceful and will allow you to exude peace amidst a busy schedule.
Note: This is not a ranking article, and the descriptions for each app can be found on the App Store.
Calm is an app for Sleep, Meditation and Relaxation. It has sleep stories, breathing programs, stretching exercises, and relaxing music. In addition, it is recommended by psychologists, therapists, and mental health experts. Calm is the perfect mindfulness app for beginners, but also includes hundreds of programs for intermediate and advanced users. Guided meditation sessions are available in lengths of 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 minutes so you can choose the perfect length to fit in with your schedule.
Headspace helps its users learn to relax with guided meditations and mindfulness techniques that bring calm, wellness and balance. This app teaches users how to meditate, breathe, and live mindfully. It has also been proven to improve focus. There are exercises on topics such as managing anxiety, stress relief, breathing, happiness and focus. For beginners, there is a free basics course that will teach you the essentials of mindfulness and meditation.
This app is the apps of the year winner by TIME magazine and Women’s Health, and it has guided meditation talks led by the world’s top meditation and mindfulness experts such as neuroscientists, psychologists, and teachers from Stanford, Harvard, the University of Oxford, and more. It also has music tracks from world-renowned artists. Additionally, there are thousands of discussion groups and community features to help you reflect and monitor your progress.
Stop, Breathe, and Think
Stop, Breathe, and Think is an app designed to help you build the emotional strength and confidence to handle life’s ups and downs. This meditation app will help you reduce stress through a meditation timer and guided breathing exercises and acupressure. Moreover, this app will also help track your mood and progress by top emotions, total time meditated, and weekly settledness.
10% Happier is a guided meditation app that aims to help people to stick to their meditation journey. There are videos and meditation combos that make it fun and straightforward to meditate as well as a library of 500+ guided meditations on topics ranging from anxiety yo parenting to focus, ensuring that you can find the right meditation for the moment. Furthermore, there are also quick meditations that fit your busy life during your commute, lunch break, etc.
Have you tried any of these apps? Let us know in the comments below.
Is it healthy to sleep with the window open?
Sleeping with the window open is considered to be a fairly popular choice amongst many individuals, especially for those who live in fairly quiet areas. Such a minimal habit you do every night could impact the way you sleep and your overall health.
Keeping a window open can often lead to a cool breeze and some ambient noise that can help to guide people into an even deeper sleep. If you don’t regularly sleep with the window open because it could disturb your slumber, you may want to think ahead to opening the window before you head to sleep tonight.
Some studies are actually showing that opening up a window before you go to bed can have some major health benefits. Here are some of the top reasons why sleeping with the window open can be essential for your health:
- Getting a deeper sleep: According to a Dutch sleep study of 17 participants, even a small crack in your window before you go to sleep can often lead to a more restful night. Fresh air as you are falling asleep can help you to fall into a more restful sleep and enjoy better airflow throughout the night. Getting more oxygen can help you feel more rested and this leads to more energy from a regular sleeping cycle.
- Less CO2 in your air quality: A room that has better ventilation leads to less CO2 that you will be inhaling throughout the evening. Shutting your doors and windows for privacy and to save energy may not be the healthiest solution for us after all. Improved concentrations of CO2 as we sleep at night can often lead to more allergens in the air, toxins that can affect our immune system, and more.
- Reduction in air pollution: Opening up a window can really help with reducing air pollution over time. Getting more air circulating through your home can create a living environment that is much safer for you and your family. Improved air quality can give you more energy through the day and it can cut down on dust throughout your home too.
- Potentially help you lose weight: Some experts would suggest that keeping your room just a few degrees cooler can prevent diabetes and obesity. A cooler room can help you to enjoy better sleep which will help you to burn more calories throughout the day. Sleeping in a room that’s a little bit cooler could be a secret that helping you lose weight a bit faster.
- Improve your home ventilation: If you regularly rely on your furnace fan to provide you with ventilation through your home, opening up a window could help to improve your indoor air quality. This can lead to better efficiency for your home as well as better overall air quality throughout your property. Rather than the maximum amount of airflow having to go through one conduit, you can make sure that you are getting a better flow of air in and out of your home. Recycling the air will help you enjoy a far better experience in your property, plus cheaper utility cost!
If you are interested in enjoying a far better night’s sleep, consider opening up a window before you go to bed tonight. With consistency and making this a natural habit, you could potentially find great health benefits overtime.
The Top Healthy Food Trends for 2019
Eating healthy does not mean sacrificing flavor or savoring tastes. If you consider yourself to be someone that regularly eats healthily or made it your new year goal, it is important to be aware of the top trends for 2019. The best healthy food that is trendsetting for 2019 could help you to prepare some of the finest new recipes that you can use to stay your healthiest. Here are some of the top food trends that you should be watching out for in 2019:
- Probiotics that are shelf-stable: Fermented foods were a big staple in 2017 and 2018. New types of probiotics that remain shelf-stable are becoming a much more popular choice. Bacillus Coagulans are applications that can add probiotic ingredients into your pantry without having to worry about a shelflife expiry. They can easily be added to items like nutrition bars, oatmeal, and even soups to improve your health.
- Vegan-friendly fats: Keto friendly fats from vegan sources are becoming a huge market for the coming year. MCT coconut butter and oil powder are becoming a popular choice for getting healthy fats. While the keto diet was commonly using butter coffees and more to add more fats into your diet, the vegan-friendly alternatives are offering more selection for people on the diet.
- Hemp hearts: People are finding more creative uses for hemp hearts than ever before. The seeds, oils, and hearts themselves are becoming a massive solution for many types of appetizers and even main course dishes. With cannabis legalization across many parts of the world, it is no wonder that so many people are considering hemp as an option that is common in food products today.
- Meat substitutes from plant-based ingredients: Plant-based meat snacks are becoming very popular for 2019. There are various mushroom products today that can resemble the same look of traditional beef burgers, jerky and more. Vegetable substitutes for popular favorites such as pork rinds and bacon snacks have all become available. In addition, certain types of mushrooms are offering innovations that are healthy and full of excellent proteins for quick snacks.
- New frozen desserts: The frozen desserts market is going far beyond the idea of traditional tubs of ice cream. It seems as though the market has an outcry for brand-new options and these can include items like Mexican Nieves de Garrafa, Turkish ice creams with unique texture, avocado ice cream, and even sweet hummus deserts. Having these options for frozen desserts is helping to improve dessert cravings with healthy alternatives.
- Choosing sea vegetables: Rather than choosing traditional farmed vegetables, there are many people that are experimenting with items like seaweed, kelp, and more. These items are finding their way into butter and superfood based dishes to promote a healthy alternative. The stackable versions of these sea-based vegetables are producing wonderful options for snacking and for side dishes. Time to swap out those chips for these vegetable-based snacks!
Keep your eye out in 2019 for some of these top trending healthy snacks. Let us know if you have any other tips or recommendations, or how you plan to eat for the new year!
Digital Health News
Nomad Health lands $34M to double staff, open NC office
by email@example.com on August 15, 2019 at 6:44 pm
New York-based startup Nomad Health, maker of an online healthcare job marketplace, announced Thursday that it raked in $34 million through a combination of […]
Nurx gets another $52 million to deliver mail-order birth control, PrEP, STI test kits
by jonahcomstock on August 15, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Online reproductive health portal Nurx has raised $52 million in new capital. Its Series C funding accounts for $32 million of that total with an […]
MyHealthTeams rakes in $9.44M in a Series B round led by UCB
by firstname.lastname@example.org on August 15, 2019 at 3:21 pm
This morning MyHealthTeams, a social network for chronic care patients, announced exclusively to MobiHealthNews that it landed $9.44 million in Series B […]
MedAnswers lands $5M, launches FertilityAnswers tool
by email@example.com on August 13, 2019 at 5:24 pm
With a focus on femtech, MedAnswers announced that it landed $5 million in seed funding. This news comes in conjunction with the rollout of its new tool […]
Baze's personalized nutrition supplement service closes $6M Series A
by dmuoio on August 13, 2019 at 5:06 pm
Baze, a subscription platform that ships personalized vitamin supplement packages based on home blood test results, has raised $6 million in Series A funding. […]
How to Build Joy in Your Life
Tips For Organizing Your Medication
The Health Benefits of Gossip
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
When My Bones Dried Up
Lifestyle10 months ago
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
Ranking9 months ago
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
Interviews and Stories1 year ago
When My Bones Dried Up
News1 month ago
Research Says that Teens Are Less Likely To Smoke Weed When it is Legalized
A-Z12 months ago
5 Ways to Treat Chronic Pain at Home
Fitness/ Diet12 months ago
Fast Facts on How These Top 6 Spices Can Strengthen Your Health
Ranking10 months ago
Top Dentists in the Greater Los Angeles Area
Fitness/ Diet10 months ago
Why Can’t I Achieve My Fitness Goals?