Eating healthy does not mean sacrificing flavor or savoring tastes. If you consider yourself to be someone that regularly eats healthily or made it your new year goal, it is important to be aware of the top trends for 2019. The best healthy food that is trendsetting for 2019 could help you to prepare some of the finest new recipes that you can use to stay your healthiest. Here are some of the top food trends that you should be watching out for in 2019:
- Probiotics that are shelf-stable: Fermented foods were a big staple in 2017 and 2018. New types of probiotics that remain shelf-stable are becoming a much more popular choice. Bacillus Coagulans are applications that can add probiotic ingredients into your pantry without having to worry about a shelflife expiry. They can easily be added to items like nutrition bars, oatmeal, and even soups to improve your health.
- Vegan-friendly fats: Keto friendly fats from vegan sources are becoming a huge market for the coming year. MCT coconut butter and oil powder are becoming a popular choice for getting healthy fats. While the keto diet was commonly using butter coffees and more to add more fats into your diet, the vegan-friendly alternatives are offering more selection for people on the diet.
- Hemp hearts: People are finding more creative uses for hemp hearts than ever before. The seeds, oils, and hearts themselves are becoming a massive solution for many types of appetizers and even main course dishes. With cannabis legalization across many parts of the world, it is no wonder that so many people are considering hemp as an option that is common in food products today.
- Meat substitutes from plant-based ingredients: Plant-based meat snacks are becoming very popular for 2019. There are various mushroom products today that can resemble the same look of traditional beef burgers, jerky and more. Vegetable substitutes for popular favorites such as pork rinds and bacon snacks have all become available. In addition, certain types of mushrooms are offering innovations that are healthy and full of excellent proteins for quick snacks.
- New frozen desserts: The frozen desserts market is going far beyond the idea of traditional tubs of ice cream. It seems as though the market has an outcry for brand-new options and these can include items like Mexican Nieves de Garrafa, Turkish ice creams with unique texture, avocado ice cream, and even sweet hummus deserts. Having these options for frozen desserts is helping to improve dessert cravings with healthy alternatives.
- Choosing sea vegetables: Rather than choosing traditional farmed vegetables, there are many people that are experimenting with items like seaweed, kelp, and more. These items are finding their way into butter and superfood based dishes to promote a healthy alternative. The stackable versions of these sea-based vegetables are producing wonderful options for snacking and for side dishes. Time to swap out those chips for these vegetable-based snacks!
Keep your eye out in 2019 for some of these top trending healthy snacks. Let us know if you have any other tips or recommendations, or how you plan to eat for the new year!
Top 5 Meditation Apps To Try in 2019
Many individuals get engrossed in their daily routines with little time to be mindful or calm. To address this problem, people are turning to meditation apps to restore balance into their lives. Check out the Top Meditation Apps that will help you feel peaceful and will allow you to exude peace amidst a busy schedule.
Note: This is not a ranking article, and the descriptions for each app can be found on the App Store.
Calm is an app for Sleep, Meditation and Relaxation. It has sleep stories, breathing programs, stretching exercises, and relaxing music. In addition, it is recommended by psychologists, therapists, and mental health experts. Calm is the perfect mindfulness app for beginners, but also includes hundreds of programs for intermediate and advanced users. Guided meditation sessions are available in lengths of 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 minutes so you can choose the perfect length to fit in with your schedule.
Headspace helps its users learn to relax with guided meditations and mindfulness techniques that bring calm, wellness and balance. This app teaches users how to meditate, breathe, and live mindfully. It has also been proven to improve focus. There are exercises on topics such as managing anxiety, stress relief, breathing, happiness and focus. For beginners, there is a free basics course that will teach you the essentials of mindfulness and meditation.
This app is the apps of the year winner by TIME magazine and Women’s Health, and it has guided meditation talks led by the world’s top meditation and mindfulness experts such as neuroscientists, psychologists, and teachers from Stanford, Harvard, the University of Oxford, and more. It also has music tracks from world-renowned artists. Additionally, there are thousands of discussion groups and community features to help you reflect and monitor your progress.
Stop, Breathe, and Think
Stop, Breathe, and Think is an app designed to help you build the emotional strength and confidence to handle life’s ups and downs. This meditation app will help you reduce stress through a meditation timer and guided breathing exercises and acupressure. Moreover, this app will also help track your mood and progress by top emotions, total time meditated, and weekly settledness.
10% Happier is a guided meditation app that aims to help people to stick to their meditation journey. There are videos and meditation combos that make it fun and straightforward to meditate as well as a library of 500+ guided meditations on topics ranging from anxiety yo parenting to focus, ensuring that you can find the right meditation for the moment. Furthermore, there are also quick meditations that fit your busy life during your commute, lunch break, etc.
Have you tried any of these apps? Let us know in the comments below.
Is it healthy to sleep with the window open?
Sleeping with the window open is considered to be a fairly popular choice amongst many individuals, especially for those who live in fairly quiet areas. Such a minimal habit you do every night could impact the way you sleep and your overall health.
Keeping a window open can often lead to a cool breeze and some ambient noise that can help to guide people into an even deeper sleep. If you don’t regularly sleep with the window open because it could disturb your slumber, you may want to think ahead to opening the window before you head to sleep tonight.
Some studies are actually showing that opening up a window before you go to bed can have some major health benefits. Here are some of the top reasons why sleeping with the window open can be essential for your health:
- Getting a deeper sleep: According to a Dutch sleep study of 17 participants, even a small crack in your window before you go to sleep can often lead to a more restful night. Fresh air as you are falling asleep can help you to fall into a more restful sleep and enjoy better airflow throughout the night. Getting more oxygen can help you feel more rested and this leads to more energy from a regular sleeping cycle.
- Less CO2 in your air quality: A room that has better ventilation leads to less CO2 that you will be inhaling throughout the evening. Shutting your doors and windows for privacy and to save energy may not be the healthiest solution for us after all. Improved concentrations of CO2 as we sleep at night can often lead to more allergens in the air, toxins that can affect our immune system, and more.
- Reduction in air pollution: Opening up a window can really help with reducing air pollution over time. Getting more air circulating through your home can create a living environment that is much safer for you and your family. Improved air quality can give you more energy through the day and it can cut down on dust throughout your home too.
- Potentially help you lose weight: Some experts would suggest that keeping your room just a few degrees cooler can prevent diabetes and obesity. A cooler room can help you to enjoy better sleep which will help you to burn more calories throughout the day. Sleeping in a room that’s a little bit cooler could be a secret that helping you lose weight a bit faster.
- Improve your home ventilation: If you regularly rely on your furnace fan to provide you with ventilation through your home, opening up a window could help to improve your indoor air quality. This can lead to better efficiency for your home as well as better overall air quality throughout your property. Rather than the maximum amount of airflow having to go through one conduit, you can make sure that you are getting a better flow of air in and out of your home. Recycling the air will help you enjoy a far better experience in your property, plus cheaper utility cost!
If you are interested in enjoying a far better night’s sleep, consider opening up a window before you go to bed tonight. With consistency and making this a natural habit, you could potentially find great health benefits overtime.
CBD’s Surprising Anti-Inflammatory/Anti-Anxiety Effects
Cannabidiol (CBD) is becoming more and more popular, and for good reasons too. People are turning to it for its anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety properties and seeing exactly how it can benefit them. CBD is a non-psychoactive component that is most commonly found in marijuana. Firstly discovered through tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the effects of such cannabinoids were tested on how they affect cannabinoid receptors in your brain and immune system.
Through scientific studies regarding the effects of CBD on these receptors, varying responses such as immunosuppression and the suppression of the inflammatory response by the body were recognized. These responses can be promising for patients who are recovering from immune-related injuries or those who are suffering from inflammatory diseases. The use of CBD as an anti-inflammatory agent for the regular person can also be discussed as the result of the following study.
Can CBD help out with inflammatory problems?
Long before the study of pure CBD, the effects of marijuana, which contains THC and CBD, has been studied for centuries to treat patients as an alternative medicine for various diseases. With the discovery of specific components in marijuana, CBD was seen as an outlier in the group because of its anti-inflammatory properties. After pure CBD has been extracted, scientists are able to determine the effects of cannabinoid on the human body.
According to a study published in Future Med Chem, CBD was “shown to be effective in protecting endothelial function” and “reversed the harmful effects of high glucose” on endothelial cells. In other words, when CBD was given to a patient, they saw protection in the cells that line a majority of their body. The body was also seen to reduce “reactive oxygen species production by mitochondria,” which is a poison to the body. All in all, the overall effect of CBD was that it protected cells in the body by inhibiting specific processes.
How effective is CBD on treating anxiety?
In today’s modern world, the typical work hours from 8 AM till 5 PM can be stressful. Anxiety is a common disorder that affects 18 percent of the population of the United States every year. Excessive anxiety can become severe and possibly, handicap individuals. Luckily, CBD may provide a solution to those people. CBD is not only used for anti-inflammatory problems but has also been heavily utilized to for its anti-anxiety properties.
It is not uncommon to see a person carry CBD gummies or oil, as it has been seen in the past years of clinical studies to be beneficial. CBD does not carry any of the psychoactive elements that regular marijuana carries, so it is perfect for those who do not want the side effects traditional marijuana provides. In a study conducted in 2015, CBD was found to be a“potential mediator of anxiolytic action,” which targets specific binding sites to reduce anxiety. Now, CBD treatments seem more and more promising.
It turns out that there can be excellent health benefits to consuming CBD to populations suffering from inflammatory problems or anxiety problems. Multiple studies have backed up preclinical studies about the newly found chemical compound, and new remedies containing CBD is a viable option of medication today. The compound is currently still being studied, but maybe soon there will be a future with CBD in your lives to assist with your immunity.
Digital Health News
Karuna Labs' $3M seed round will support clinical validation of its VR chronic pain programs
by dmuoio on September 18, 2019 at 1:24 pm
Virtual reality pain management company Karuna Labs has raised $3 million in seed funding, the San Francisco startup announced last week. The funding was led […]
Kaia Health lands $8M to focus on treating musculoskeletal disorders
by email@example.com on September 17, 2019 at 7:15 am
This morning digital physical therapy company Kaia Health announced an $8 million funding round led by United Health’s venture arm Optum Ventures. This […]
Investing in your own disruptor: The opportunities and challenges of strategic investing
by jonahcomstock on September 16, 2019 at 8:14 pm
In the world of healthcare there are many stakeholders: hospitals and other providers, insurers and other payers, and, of course pharma and medical device […]
Tech-enabled health concierge platform Firefly snags $10.2M in Series A funding
by firstname.lastname@example.org on September 16, 2019 at 8:03 pm
This morning Firefly Health, a Boston-based health navigation and concierge platform, announced a $10.2 million Series A funding round led by F-Prime Capital […]
Mango Health acquired by pharma service TrialCard
by email@example.com on September 16, 2019 at 6:59 pm
TrialCard, a company that works with pharma manufacturers to link patients to medications and services, announced last week that it is set to acquire Mango […]
States That are Working to Improve Mental Health For Students
Top Yoga Apps of 2019
Fast Facts About the US Vaping Epidemic
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
When My Bones Dried Up
Lifestyle11 months ago
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
Ranking10 months ago
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
Interviews and Stories1 year ago
When My Bones Dried Up
News2 months ago
Research Says that Teens Are Less Likely To Smoke Weed When it is Legalized
A-Z1 year ago
5 Ways to Treat Chronic Pain at Home
Fitness/ Diet1 year ago
Fast Facts on How These Top 6 Spices Can Strengthen Your Health
Ranking11 months ago
Top Dentists in the Greater Los Angeles Area
Fitness/ Diet11 months ago
Why Can’t I Achieve My Fitness Goals?