How many of us have gone out to bars or parties and have lost count of the number of drinks consumed throughout the night? I’m sure many of us have experienced those regrettable mornings the day after. Don’t let yourself feel the regret and know your body’s alcohol tolerance before taking the first sip!
We may have heard that 1-2 drinks daily could be beneficial to your health since it is good for the heart. However, recent studies have shown that drinking any amount of alcohol is problematic for your health and is one of the leading causes of death.
Though drinking alcohol is merely a part of the social aspect in many countries, studies have shown that it has killed more people globally than before. Humans have been consuming alcohol for millions of years, long before brewing became a craft in itself. But as always, it’s important to do your research beforehand, especially knowing there is a direct impact on your body’s health!
How Bad is Alcohol?
Alcohol is the number one overused drug consumed by minors. 86.4% have consumed alcohol before the legal age of 21, and 26.9% of the minors have engaged in excessive alcohol drinking. This is intoxicating to the body’s health. Hence, it is necessary to learn the impact of it before consumption.
It’s easy to drink a cup or two but could be horrifying when you start to lose count. Most people have probably hit that limit before. Therefore, it’s best to know how much you can take in before putting excess pressure on your liver or you could be more prone to long-term health issues.
There are 2.8 million deaths each year, and 1 in 10 deaths that occur are due to mishandling of alcohol. This alcoholic binge is worse now than ever imagined, and no amount of alcohol is shown to be “healthy.” Booze is a known neurotoxin; if taken in excess, it may cause memory impairment and reckless decision making.
Alcohol is a depressant, which are drugs taken to decrease the heart rate and breathing. There is a direct negative impact on cognitive ability, like loss of attention, inability to think abstractly, and loss of visuospatial abilities. Studies have shown that it deteriorates the gray matter in your brain and causes a lack of coordination and confusion. If this substance is abused, there are withdrawal symptoms, and it can gravely impair a person’s sleep and brain’s “hard-wiring.”
How Much Is One Drink?
- Beer= 5% Alcohol= 1 can= 12 fl. oz.
- Malt liquor= 7% Alcohol= 8-9 fl.oz.
- Table wine= 12% Alcohol= 5 fl. oz.
- Shot of distilled spirits= 40% Alcohol= 1.5 fl. oz.
How Much Alcohol Can I Take?
Everyone’s body size is different, so that means everyone has a different alcohol tolerance range. Just because you have a fast metabolism or have a larger body mass, does not mean you are prompted to drink more. Your tolerance is based on a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) calculation where a Driving under the influence (DUI) conviction means 0.08% or higher. Note that it is still possible that you could be charged at any level above 0. Depending on which state you are convicted, the fines could go up to $1000 and is listed on your permanent record.
Approximately 88,000 people die from alcohol-related causes each year. One in four college students have shown academic consequences due to poor habits and 696,000 students reported to have been involved in sexual assault due to excess alcohol consumption. People around you who are not educated or precautious about their consumption can pose an even more significant threat to innocent people.
Last but not least, if you decide to drink, do it with precaution! Do not let your lack of education or one bad decision determine your fate. These are not just scare tactic numbers, but it’s the hard truth that could come down to a life or death situation.
Is it healthy to sleep with the window open?
Sleeping with the window open is considered to be a fairly popular choice amongst many individuals, especially for those who live in fairly quiet areas. Such a minimal habit you do every night could impact the way you sleep and your overall health.
Keeping a window open can often lead to a cool breeze and some ambient noise that can help to guide people into an even deeper sleep. If you don’t regularly sleep with the window open because it could disturb your slumber, you may want to think ahead to opening the window before you head to sleep tonight.
Some studies are actually showing that opening up a window before you go to bed can have some major health benefits. Here are some of the top reasons why sleeping with the window open can be essential for your health:
- Getting a deeper sleep: According to a Dutch sleep study of 17 participants, even a small crack in your window before you go to sleep can often lead to a more restful night. Fresh air as you are falling asleep can help you to fall into a more restful sleep and enjoy better airflow throughout the night. Getting more oxygen can help you feel more rested and this leads to more energy from a regular sleeping cycle.
- Less CO2 in your air quality: A room that has better ventilation leads to less CO2 that you will be inhaling throughout the evening. Shutting your doors and windows for privacy and to save energy may not be the healthiest solution for us after all. Improved concentrations of CO2 as we sleep at night can often lead to more allergens in the air, toxins that can affect our immune system, and more.
- Reduction in air pollution: Opening up a window can really help with reducing air pollution over time. Getting more air circulating through your home can create a living environment that is much safer for you and your family. Improved air quality can give you more energy through the day and it can cut down on dust throughout your home too.
- Potentially help you lose weight: Some experts would suggest that keeping your room just a few degrees cooler can prevent diabetes and obesity. A cooler room can help you to enjoy better sleep which will help you to burn more calories throughout the day. Sleeping in a room that’s a little bit cooler could be a secret that helping you lose weight a bit faster.
- Improve your home ventilation: If you regularly rely on your furnace fan to provide you with ventilation through your home, opening up a window could help to improve your indoor air quality. This can lead to better efficiency for your home as well as better overall air quality throughout your property. Rather than the maximum amount of airflow having to go through one conduit, you can make sure that you are getting a better flow of air in and out of your home. Recycling the air will help you enjoy a far better experience in your property, plus cheaper utility cost!
If you are interested in enjoying a far better night’s sleep, consider opening up a window before you go to bed tonight. With consistency and making this a natural habit, you could potentially find great health benefits overtime.
The Top Healthy Food Trends for 2019
Eating healthy does not mean sacrificing flavor or savoring tastes. If you consider yourself to be someone that regularly eats healthily or made it your new year goal, it is important to be aware of the top trends for 2019. The best healthy food that is trendsetting for 2019 could help you to prepare some of the finest new recipes that you can use to stay your healthiest. Here are some of the top food trends that you should be watching out for in 2019:
- Probiotics that are shelf-stable: Fermented foods were a big staple in 2017 and 2018. New types of probiotics that remain shelf-stable are becoming a much more popular choice. Bacillus Coagulans are applications that can add probiotic ingredients into your pantry without having to worry about a shelflife expiry. They can easily be added to items like nutrition bars, oatmeal, and even soups to improve your health.
- Vegan-friendly fats: Keto friendly fats from vegan sources are becoming a huge market for the coming year. MCT coconut butter and oil powder are becoming a popular choice for getting healthy fats. While the keto diet was commonly using butter coffees and more to add more fats into your diet, the vegan-friendly alternatives are offering more selection for people on the diet.
- Hemp hearts: People are finding more creative uses for hemp hearts than ever before. The seeds, oils, and hearts themselves are becoming a massive solution for many types of appetizers and even main course dishes. With cannabis legalization across many parts of the world, it is no wonder that so many people are considering hemp as an option that is common in food products today.
- Meat substitutes from plant-based ingredients: Plant-based meat snacks are becoming very popular for 2019. There are various mushroom products today that can resemble the same look of traditional beef burgers, jerky and more. Vegetable substitutes for popular favorites such as pork rinds and bacon snacks have all become available. In addition, certain types of mushrooms are offering innovations that are healthy and full of excellent proteins for quick snacks.
- New frozen desserts: The frozen desserts market is going far beyond the idea of traditional tubs of ice cream. It seems as though the market has an outcry for brand-new options and these can include items like Mexican Nieves de Garrafa, Turkish ice creams with unique texture, avocado ice cream, and even sweet hummus deserts. Having these options for frozen desserts is helping to improve dessert cravings with healthy alternatives.
- Choosing sea vegetables: Rather than choosing traditional farmed vegetables, there are many people that are experimenting with items like seaweed, kelp, and more. These items are finding their way into butter and superfood based dishes to promote a healthy alternative. The stackable versions of these sea-based vegetables are producing wonderful options for snacking and for side dishes. Time to swap out those chips for these vegetable-based snacks!
Keep your eye out in 2019 for some of these top trending healthy snacks. Let us know if you have any other tips or recommendations, or how you plan to eat for the new year!
CBD’s Surprising Anti-Inflammatory/Anti-Anxiety Effects
Cannabidiol (CBD) is becoming more and more popular, and for good reasons too. People are turning to it for its anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety properties and seeing exactly how it can benefit them. CBD is a non-psychoactive component that is most commonly found in marijuana. Firstly discovered through tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the effects of such cannabinoids were tested on how they affect cannabinoid receptors in your brain and immune system.
Through scientific studies regarding the effects of CBD on these receptors, varying responses such as immunosuppression and the suppression of the inflammatory response by the body were recognized. These responses can be promising for patients who are recovering from immune-related injuries or those who are suffering from inflammatory diseases. The use of CBD as an anti-inflammatory agent for the regular person can also be discussed as the result of the following study.
Can CBD help out with inflammatory problems?
Long before the study of pure CBD, the effects of marijuana, which contains THC and CBD, has been studied for centuries to treat patients as an alternative medicine for various diseases. With the discovery of specific components in marijuana, CBD was seen as an outlier in the group because of its anti-inflammatory properties. After pure CBD has been extracted, scientists are able to determine the effects of cannabinoid on the human body.
According to a study published in Future Med Chem, CBD was “shown to be effective in protecting endothelial function” and “reversed the harmful effects of high glucose” on endothelial cells. In other words, when CBD was given to a patient, they saw protection in the cells that line a majority of their body. The body was also seen to reduce “reactive oxygen species production by mitochondria,” which is a poison to the body. All in all, the overall effect of CBD was that it protected cells in the body by inhibiting specific processes.
How effective is CBD on treating anxiety?
In today’s modern world, the typical work hours from 8 AM till 5 PM can be stressful. Anxiety is a common disorder that affects 18 percent of the population of the United States every year. Excessive anxiety can become severe and possibly, handicap individuals. Luckily, CBD may provide a solution to those people. CBD is not only used for anti-inflammatory problems but has also been heavily utilized to for its anti-anxiety properties.
It is not uncommon to see a person carry CBD gummies or oil, as it has been seen in the past years of clinical studies to be beneficial. CBD does not carry any of the psychoactive elements that regular marijuana carries, so it is perfect for those who do not want the side effects traditional marijuana provides. In a study conducted in 2015, CBD was found to be a“potential mediator of anxiolytic action,” which targets specific binding sites to reduce anxiety. Now, CBD treatments seem more and more promising.
It turns out that there can be excellent health benefits to consuming CBD to populations suffering from inflammatory problems or anxiety problems. Multiple studies have backed up preclinical studies about the newly found chemical compound, and new remedies containing CBD is a viable option of medication today. The compound is currently still being studied, but maybe soon there will be a future with CBD in your lives to assist with your immunity.
Digital Health News
Allscripts purchases digital specialty prescription startup ZappRx
by dmuoio on June 14, 2019 at 7:05 pm
ZappRx, a digital specialty prescription and prior authorization platform, has been purchased by EHR vendor Allscripts for an unknown sum. CNBC broke the news […]
How Finnish health tech startups are getting off the ground
by firstname.lastname@example.org on June 14, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Perhaps it’s no surprise that the startup scene is thriving in a culture known for braving harsh conditions. And while the startup world isn’t […]
Modern Fertility's mail-order test, app platform collects $15M
by dmuoio on June 13, 2019 at 5:47 pm
At-home fertility testing startup Modern Fertility has raised $15 million in Series A funding in a round led by Forerunner Ventures and its founding partner, […]
'Telegenomics' startup Genome Medical raises $23M Series B
by dmuoio on June 13, 2019 at 1:47 pm
Genome Medical — a company that offers patient-facing virtual visits and provider-facing consultations with genetic experts — has raised $23 […]
Gympass' fitness benefits platform barrels into unicorn status with $300M raise
by dmuoio on June 12, 2019 at 5:48 pm
Gympass, a platform that offers fitness classes through an employer’s benefits program, announced today new strategic funding led by SoftBank’s […]
Medical Marijuana Aids in Reducing Seizures
Does Eating An Apple A Day Really Keep the Doctor Away?
Cold Parenting Permeates Disease Risk in Children
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
When My Bones Dried Up
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
Lifestyle8 months ago
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
Interviews and Stories10 months ago
When My Bones Dried Up
Ranking7 months ago
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
A-Z10 months ago
5 Ways to Treat Chronic Pain at Home
Fitness/ Diet9 months ago
Fast Facts on How These Top 6 Spices Can Strengthen Your Health
Fitness/ Diet8 months ago
Why Can’t I Achieve My Fitness Goals?
Ranking8 months ago
Top Dentists in the Greater Los Angeles Area
Lifestyle5 months ago
4 Reasons Why You Should Use Turmeric