Music is a medium that can be used in various elements of life that include culture, entertainment, or self-meditation. But did you know that by incorporating constant tunes each night into your sleeping routine can result in positive health outcomes?
Recent studies convey that music can be used to improve the quality of sleep. Having a proper amount of sleep for 6-8 hours can reduce fatigue, emotional distress, and increase mental alertness.
Sleep loss is a global issue that impacts your physical and mental state, and if you are constantly sleep-deprived, your overall health will deteriorate in the long-term. It could increase your risk for chronic illnesses and weaken your immune system to fight off bacterial infections. A thematic analysis was conducted on the general public via survey to determine the use of music as a sleeping aid. The research yielded four reasons regarding why music aids in sleeping.
- Creates unique mental stimuli- Music improves sleep quality when the frequency is more mellow and relaxing. The soothing lullaby is a relaxation technique parents implement to put their children to sleep. However, using music as a sleeping technique can be applied to all age ranges too. Instrumental music works better in relaxing an individual when compared to music with verbal stimuli. Classical music aids in relaxing mind and body while laying in bed before sleep. Soft melodies can mentally affect you by improving your mood, allowing you to clear your mind in order to focus on sleeping.
- Music can become habitual in forming sleep patterns- People develop daily routines that aid during their sleep process. The survey determined that people who listen to music while laying in bed become dependent on it to fall asleep. Music helps foster discipline in establishing a consistent sleep pattern. Habits provide a sense of security because it is the individual’s personal, trusted process and they understand their own needs the best.
- Music alters your state of the body- Listening to soothing sounds can alter your physical state. Calm sounds can physically affect you by lowering your heart rate and slowing your breathing, which occurs when a person falls asleep. If you listen to verbal stimuli such as Hip Hop, Rap, Rock, or R&B, your body will not be able to relax properly, making it harder for you to fall asleep.
- Music blocks out external stimuli- Music is known to block out noises in the environment. If there is an irritable sound, it is best to drown it out and not have extraneous noises interrupt your sleep pattern. It can also help distract individuals that feel uncomfortable with silence. Music can fill that void and put people at ease and allow them to relax.
With the knowledge you just learned, you can create the sleeping edition soundtrack to your life. Incorporating soothing music will help you see improvements not only in your sleeping patterns but also in your spacial awareness and your overall cognition.
Kombucha: The Drink that Will Revolutionize your Health
You might have seen your friends carry a mysterious, colorful drink enclosed in a glass case with a white hue on the surface of the bottle. This drink is known as Kombucha, and it is currently gaining prominence amongst millennials for its various health benefits. Kombucha is a fermented-mushroom tea drink that contains bacteria, yeast, and sugar. Here are a few benefits of drinking Kombucha.
- Improves Digestion: The white component of the drink forms during the fermentation process when bacteria and yeast combine together to form a “
mushroom likefilm,” which is extremely rich in probiotic bacteria that can aid in digestion, inflammation, and weight loss.
- Increases Antioxidant Levels: Kombucha is known to have quite a few antioxidants that help the liver. On studies with rats, those who drank Kombucha reduced the toxicity of their liver by at least 70%.
- Reduces the Risk of Heart Disease: Research demonstrates that drinking Kombucha can influence cholesterol levels, specifically LDL and HDL.
Low densitylipoprotein cholesterols (LDL) is typically known as the “bad cholesterol” because cholesterol is taken into the arteries, leading to plaque building up in the artery walls. On the other hand, HDL is known as the “good cholesterol” because higher levels of it are known to reduce riskof heart diseases. Kombucha is known to increase HDL levels by promoting its absorption through the body.
- Promotes Cancer Prevention: Kombucha is known to “strengthen our natural
defences” that help prevent cancer. Specifically, the lauric acid found in the drink and the Lactobacillus microbes help reduce cancer risks by stimulating natural cancer killingcells.
- Improves Mental Health: The vitamin B component of Kombucha helps balance mood and enhances concentration. It also inhibits the release of the stress hormone cortisol. In addition, drinking Kombucha can alleviate the leaky gut which is often thought to be a symptom of depression. The leaky gut means that there is decreased permeability in gut regions, and this problem can manifest itself through inflammation, and ultimately depression.
Thankfully, you don’t always have to go to the store to get Kombucha; you can make it at home! Watch this video by HGTV that shows you how to make different flavors of Kombucha at home. Give us your take on Kombucha in the comments below!
Listen Up! This Month of Febru-Hairy Shows Benefits of Not Shaving
Everyone has a different opinion regarding body hair, but ultimately, it should be a personal decision to wear whatever style makes you feel comfortable. Shaming people for what they choose to do with their body not only reinforces outdated societal standards but represses expression of individuality.
Therefore, the next time you reach for that razor, consider these health benefits of keeping your body hair!
- Vulnerability to skin infections. Be careful when you use the razor that might leave a knick or two in the process. Exposure to the environment could potentially leave the wound left from the knick susceptible to infections from the bacteria.
- The release of more pheromones. Pheromones called androstadienone shows to increase a female’s libido and disperse the odor that potentially attracts a partner. This might change the way people view their methods to attract potential mates.
- Armpit hair reduces chafing. When you go running, the sweat, combined with the friction of your arms moving back and forth can lead to chafing. However, dermatologists warn that removing your hair can make the unwanted rashes worse, so it’s better to keep your body hair intact!
- Regulate your body temperature. You may have noticed that when you are cold, your hair spikes up. That is the body’s internal temperature regulation system to trap heat and keep you warm, especially during the cold winter times!
- Maintains skin health. Hair follicles are more complex underneath the epidermis and contain masses of blood vessels and nerves to help your skin heal.
- Sun protection. Too much sunlight is detrimental to our health and causes skin cancer, but that’s what your hair is there for! So those who are hairy simply just have an extra layer to keep them protected from the powerful rays.
Now you’ve seen that there are health benefits to staying natural. Not to mention you might also be saving money! With the help of expert advice, being hairy may result in better health and for some, greater physical gains. If you would like to learn more, here is a video of reasons why others decided to stop shaving.
The Diet That Will Work! Try this +++itively No Sugar Diet
Chocolate, ice cream, candy, and all that good stuff! No wonder why kids constantly crave desserts for dinner. We might assume that excessive consumption of sugar will cause one or two cavities, but there are greater health issues that can result such as kidney failure. The truth is that glucose is an addictive component, and having too many sweets may potentially lead to dietary and health issues over time.
The Unspoken Truth Behind Sugar
Sugar is a ubiquitous component of a typical American diet, but this leads scientists and public health experts to worry about its consumption rate. Most Americans consume too
There are two different types of sugars to be aware of. The first is natural sugars, which come from fruits, vegetables, and grains to replenish the energy of cells in the body. Added sugars are added by manufacturers to extend the shelf-life of a particular product, and this is the type of sugar you should fear.
There is a legitimate reason to fear added sugars, and here’s why. According to a study conducted by JAMA Internal Medicine, increased consumption has a direct association with contracting heart disease. In the study, people who consumed 17-21% of added sugar had a 38% higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease compared with those who consumed 8% added sugar.
If that is not startling enough, scientists have discovered that added sugars have addictive properties in them. Research demonstrates that sugar activates the same brain regions as certain drugs, and increased consumption leads to increased tolerance.
How to Combat the Sugar Addiction
In recent times, Americans have turned to diet changes to combat the negative effects of sugar. While the ketogenic diet is gaining prevalence, many adults are also turning to the +++itively No Sugar Diet.
This diet essentially eliminates the consumption of added or processed sugars, and instead focuses more on consuming natural sugars. Courtesy of Livestrong, here are some tips that will help you achieve longevity within this diet.
- Understand where hidden sugar sources are located. Many processed foods such as salad dressings, pasta sauces, and cereals contain loads of added sugar even though they may seem “healthy”.
- Do not be fooled by the external appearance. Deceptively healthy foods such as acai bowls and protein bars also contain a high amount of added sugar.
- Double check the nutrition facts. This is a key habit to incorporate, especially when you are shopping for day to day items to make sure no added sugar is present.
- Eliminate and substitute! Instead of opting for artificially flavored drinks like soda and water, drink more water! Foods and drinks with turmeric and coconut water are a great source of anti-inflammatory agents and can replenish energy labels in the body.
- Eliminate foods with white flour. This food group is digested very quickly and can lead to increased blood sugar content in the body. Refined flour is present in items such as pasta, rice, and white bread. Instead, look for foods with whole grains such as wheat, quinoa, and barley.
- Beware of added sugar in dairy. Yogurts and milk tend to have added flavoring which contains sugar to boost the taste of the food.
Overall, the +++itively No Sugar Diet will help you feel your best and live a healthy lifestyle. Let us know in the comments if you have tried this diet before and have seen tangible results compared to other types of diets.
Digital Health News
Unite Us raises $35M to connect healthcare with social services
by dmuoio on March 21, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Unite Us, a care coordination software maker that looks to connect social services with healthcare, has raised $35 million in a Series B round led by Oak […]
Johns Hopkins spinout Vixiar gets $1.5M for tablet-based cardiac measurement system
by jonah on March 20, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Vixiar, a Johns Hopkins spinout marketing a tablet-based point of care system for assessing cardiac filling pressure, has raised $1.5 million in Series A […]
Doctolib gets €150M more as it focuses on telehealth, growth, expansion
by jonah on March 20, 2019 at 6:44 pm
French appointment booking and telemedicine service Doctolib has raised another €150 million ($170.3 million), bringing its total funding to […]
Peerfit raises $18M from Virgo Investment Group
by dmuoio on March 20, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Peerfit, a Tampa Bay area company that makes a digital platform for fitness benefits, has kicked off its Series C funding round with an $18 million raise from […]
Women in venture: The case for increasing representation in digital health investing
by firstname.lastname@example.org on March 15, 2019 at 8:17 pm
When it comes to digital health, investors get a bird’s eye view and play a major role in steering the direction of the industry’s future. That is […]
Blockchain Makes Strides in Ensuring Data Validity
The Difference Between Dementia and Alzheimer’s Explained
Top Orthodontists in Irvine and Tustin
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
When My Bones Dried Up
5 Ways to Treat Chronic Pain at Home
Lifestyle5 months ago
How Gut Bacteria Controls Your Brain
Interviews and Stories7 months ago
When My Bones Dried Up
A-Z7 months ago
5 Ways to Treat Chronic Pain at Home
Fitness/ Diet7 months ago
Fast Facts on How These Top 6 Spices Can Strengthen Your Health
Fitness/ Diet5 months ago
Why Can’t I Achieve My Fitness Goals?
Ranking4 months ago
Top Personal Trainers in Newport Beach/Irvine
Ranking5 months ago
Top Dentists in the Greater Los Angeles Area
Recent News7 months ago
“Just One More Drink” Could Be the Leading Cause of Death. Know Your Body’s Limit of Alcohol Consumption.